Monday, September 26, 2011

I am a lake

I am a lake
with cold, clear water --
warm in certain seasons.
I may seem shallow
but my currents run deep.
Though my surface seems calm,
my water can storm up
and drown you in waves of rage --
bury you in a liquid grave.

NOTE: in my classes today, I made my students do a extended metaphor poem beginning with "I am".  Just for fun, I did one too.  I left my original at school but the one above is a near copy.


Not bad for an aged poet.  Not good.  But not bad.  Mediocre, maybe.
Why don't you write an "I am" metaphor poem and let me read some?

3 comments:

  1. I am a tree.
    With my planted roots, I am grounded,
    But always looking towards the sky.

    My limbs reach out to embrace the troubled air,
    We sway in a dance as we meet.
    I host those needing shelter, sometimes only for a while.

    Colors changing with the season,
    As my bark remains the same.
    Autumn leaves me bare and vulnerable,
    But even the woodpecker can't make me fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I once wrote a song for my wife called "Living, Growing, Love" and I used the image of a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the idea! I love new writing challenges :-)

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews