Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Writing is such a pain -- if it isn't, you're not doing it correctly

I am having some serious struggles with this YA novel that I am working on.  Many factors are contributing to this.  One is the return to school, and the fact that I no longer have a life.  That is not much of an exaggeration.  I'm teaching two night classes as well as my full time teaching job.  It's rough.  Perhaps I should see it as an opportunity to separate myself from my work for just a while and come back to it with a new perspective.

The problem is that the plot is very complicated, almost to the point of being indecipherable.  I won't go into all the details, but it's written from the viewpoint of an unreliable narrator, one who suffers from a mental illness and has hallucinations.  I don't know how to make the illusory world real, even though it isn't, without totally baffling my readers.

This is the novel I'm doing as a project for my writing class.  My instructor keeps telling me that I have talent as a writer, but that she just can't follow my storyline.  I wonder if I'm trying to be too tricky.  I have to ponder it.

I have a sinus infection that is really getting on my nerves.  It's making it hard for me to teach too because my throat is sore and scratchy from drainage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews