Sunday, September 18, 2011

New Record Again. Thanks to all. Praise for North County students and teachers.

Yesterday, I broke 40 page views.  I'm shooting for 50. I'd also like to get over 1,000 total in before Thanksgiving.  Why do I want this you might ask.  I think it's because I have very poor self esteem and I need to be constantly reminded that people actually like me and think I have something worthwhile to say.  One can delude oneself that way, and I want my life to be one long delusion.

Actually, I started this blog because I wanted to improve sales for my writing.  I won't know how successful my sales have been until the end of September.  Honestly, though, improved sales for my book also help the independent publisher who is publishing it.  Bucks County Publishing has treated me very well, and it is trying very hard to be successful in a world where huge conglomerates rule the book selling industry.  So, when you are buying my book, you are also helping small business in America.  I'm not just saying that to guilt you into buying Lancelot, but if that happens, I won't complain.  What I'm saying is true.  There are probably around seven major book publishing conglomerates out there who do almost all the book publishing in this country.  Support your independent publishers.  Buy Lancelot and the Tides of Time.  You can find it here:
http://www.buckscountypublishing.com/portal/BookStore/LancelotandtheTidesofTime.aspx

While I'm on here, I would like to praise my North County students who are in my composition class this year.  I have been very pleased with the way they are writing.  We were discussing MAP test scores the other day in an English meeting.  Last year, we did not take the writing portion of the test and our scores were lower.  We, unlike some schools, do not cheat when taking the test.  One of the teachers said that she had always stressed writing but that maybe that wasn't such a good idea since we weren't doing the writing portion of the MAP test.  I pleaded with her.  Please don't do that.  Our kids are writing so well in my comp class.  Don't let some stupid, state shoved down our throat test ruin their education.  My colleagues are doing a great job.  The only problems my students are having are minor grammar errors.  Their writing is thoughtful, sincere, creative, and well worth reading. Expressing themselves clearly is so much more important than choosing the right answer on a multiple choice test.

So, in my personal opinion, I think state mandated tests are ruining education, not helping it.
Keep going, Raiders.  I'm proud to be part of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews