Friday, September 2, 2011

Piece of joy

When joy comes to visit us, it sometimes does not stay long.  It is those moments of joy, however, that allow us to endure the sorrows.  It's sad to me when people get so busy with their lives, they don't stop to acknowledge the little joys that come their way.

Recently, a former student of mine died.  He was in a car wreck and spent a couple weeks in the hospital before he passed on.  Chris fought a brave fight, but in the end, he wasn't strong enough.  I have trouble dealing with tragedy when it strikes one so young.  It happens too often, and I don't understand it.  Chris was very smart even though English wasn't his favorite subject.  I think he was more of a math and science guy.  His sense of humor was great, and he frequently showed it in his writing.  There were times when I should have gotten really mad at him but I was too busy laughing at him to do it. He will be sorely missed, and I am doing a lot of praying for his family and friends, even as I try to sort things out in my own mind.

North County is doing something that I think is going to be moving to honor the memory of the victims of September 11 as we come up to the tenth anniversary of that infamous day.  Randy Barnhouse, the father of one of my students, talked to some of us teachers about what we remembered about that day.  He filmed us in front of the green screen so that he can put images and video clips in the background as we talk.  He's also going to add music to it and come up with a documentary that we are going to show to our students.  I can't wait to see the finished product.  I'll never forget that moment.  Though I have spent most of my life teaching at North County High School, I was teaching at Arcadia Valley High School when I witness two tragedies that have been my John F. Kennedy -- where were you when -- moments.  9-11 was one.  The other was the explosion of the space shuttle.

Be appreciative of joy when it stops to visit because you never know how long it will stay and what will come next when it leaves.

http://www.buckscountypublishing.com/portal/BookStore/LancelotandtheTidesofTime.aspx
To order Lancelot




Never forget.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews