Saturday, September 10, 2011

Mixed emotions

What do you get when you mix in a bunch of angst, a dash of ennui, and several shots of wistfulness?  I'm not sure what you would call it, but it describes me at the moment.  I think there are several reasons for this.  One is that tomorrow is the September 11, 10th anniversary.  I am watching the Cardinal baseball game.  I know they whine and complain and they have little chance of going into post season, but they are my team.  I will continue to support them ... sigh, I guess.

At any rate, I caught a reference to Jack Buck's poem "For America" that he read at Busch Stadium after the attacks.  I looked it up and watched the video of it.  Jack Buck was a great broadcaster, but he was much more than that.  He was generous and kind.  Even though he was shaking with the disease that would soon kill him, his voice was strong, and like it had for so many years, it reverberated through the hearts and minds of Cardinals fans everywhere, and on that day, it reverberated through the hearts and minds of Americans all over this country.

It amazes me that ten years later I can look at the video from that day, and when I see those attacks, it all comes back just as strong as it did on that day.  Those who remember Kennedy's assassination feel the same way. I understand that feeling now.

I spent several hours grading papers and will spend some more time later and tomorrow.  I'm trying to get a set of essays finished before Monday.  I think I can ... I think I can.

Until later ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews