Sunday, January 1, 2012

January 1, 2012 The beginning of the end?

Don't let the smile fool you.


So this is the year, right?  The world ends in December of 2012.  The Mayan calendar runs out of days.  Do we need to be frightened?  Depends on how you look at things, I guess.  The thing that we all need to remember is that our world can end at any time.  I don't think we are at the end of history, but I might be at the end of my life.  Who knows for sure?  I guess the question becomes then, "Are you afraid of death?"  I'm not really afraid of death anymore since my mom died.  I know that's an odd thing to say, but I do have my reasons.  Would I be afraid of death if Mom had not died?  Probably.  I'm a Christian, but that doesn't mean I'm anxious for the only life I've known to disappear.  It's the fear of the unknown.  Read Hamlet's "To Be or Not To Be" soliloquy to get his perspective on things.  Hamlet is one of my favorite characters.  In another place, he refuses to kill his uncle because his uncle is at prayer, and Hamlet doesn't want to send him to heaven all nice, clean, and white after the man's repented.  Hamlet was torn -- I can relate to Hamlet.  There needs to be a new movie based on Hamlet's situation.  One that is set in modern times.  My movie that I'm working on has some Hamlet like moments, but it isn't a modern retelling of the story.



In my stories, I like two kinds of characters: those that are torn and those that are a part of a group of friends.  I love ensemble movies and wish I could write a good one.  It's just hard to do one well, and it also hurts because ensemble casts don't tie into the Hollywood narcissism well.  Not many well known actors and actresses want to share top billing with someone else.  However, if you think of some of the ensemble movies out there, you can find some good ones.  One of my favorites is the Prairie Home Companion.  Sandlot is also a great one.  Field of Dreams, my favorite movie of all times, has some ensemble moments in it.  Dead Poets' Society too.  Then there are some of the t.v. shows of past and present.  Think of MASH.  Nowadays, I love Bones and NCIS. (the original one). Then, there's Big Bang Theory.  I think I just love to see characters and how they interact with each other.

The great truth is: Life is an ensemble event.

Back to my original question.  Is this year the last?  It will be for many people, perhaps millions.  Are you ready if it turns out to be you?  Have you settled accounts?  Dreamed enough dreams?  Read enough good books? Held enough warm conversations with friends and family?  Enjoyed enough sunrises and sunsets?  Have you lived enough that you can die without regrets?

Sorry for being so philosophical.  

1 comment:

  1. "The great truth is: Life is an ensemble event."
    Indeed! I like this.

    I try not to think of anything in my life as regrettable, unfortunate as some of it may be. I say this not as a cocky, resounding, "I regret nothing!" but as a humble, "My life is what it is, will be what it will be, and will have exactly the perfect impact that I am designed to have."

    The only regret I have is how I will hurt the people I love when I am gone. I hurt for those who have died, and I hate to think of somebody feeling this way over me.

    Is that strange?

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews