Tuesday, January 3, 2012

That's the way it is.

It was 16 degrees this morning in Southeast Missouri.  It warmed up to about 40 degrees and we had some sunshine, so it didn't turn out too badly.  It is supposed to be springlike later in the week.  I keep waiting for winter to give us a surprise right hook and knock us on our butt in the snow.  Worse, we could get ice.

Today was my first full day back to work with the kids after Christmas break.  All of my classes except for one are different, so it's just like starting over.  My classes are smaller, and I have no idea yet whether they have personality or not. My night classes have not met yet, so I know nothing about them.  I am beginning to get a case of the winter blahs.  January and February are long and depressing.  There just isn't much to look forward to after the holidays.  Four and two/thirds months of school left.  My mom used to tell me I shouldn't "wish my life away".  Whenever I'd talk about how I wish it were summer or how I wish something would end faster, she would always say that.  She would also tell me that I could miss some wonderful things for today if I kept looking at tomorrow.  She was a wise woman.

One of my last conversations I had with her was about how quickly time seemed to pass and that it seemed to pass even faster as we aged.  My daughter is 20.  I've been married almost 30 years.  I've taught at North County for 14 years.  I've taught 28 years total.

Life measured out in coffee spoons.  Women come and go, speaking of Michelangelo.  (Know where those lines come from?)  I doubt if it's taught much anymore, but I think it's a masterpiece.

My thoughts are meandering hither, thither, and yon.  Sometimes, I have so much time focusing on specifics that I can't accomplish much of anything.  Tonight is one of those nights.  I hate it.  When I go to bed tonight, it will likely follow me, and I won't be able to shut my brain down long enough to go to sleep.

One of the characteristics of cyclothymia, especially in mild manic phases is a certain restlessness of thought.  It is annoying at best and downright crippling at other times.  If I can't focus, I can't grade papers, I can't write, and I struggle even with writing this blog.

I should sign off for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews