Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Joys of Research

I used to hate research, and the only reason why I did was that I didn't know how to do it correctly.  It is actually interesting to look up material. Since I have been doing writing for the ACT test, I have researched some interesting topics, some more so than others, but I still enjoy the process.  In the process of my writing, I discovered that one of the first nonviolent civil rights demonstrations happened in Southeast Missouri in the 1930's.  I've written about snails that have  turned eggs into something that resembles bubble wrap and they surf on the ocean upside down on it.  They are interesting looking creatures.  I've written about other topics, but I really can't get into all of that because I'm sworn to secrecy.  The process is interesting.  My essays and ones like them are sent to other people who essentially write in a bunch of grammatical errors for the language arts portion of the test.  I've never done this to any of the essays I have written personally, so I never know what the final essay will look like once it's on the test.  However, I have written questions for other people's essays.  By the time I finish putting in errors, it's a bit unrecognizable, but even then, I couldn't tell you the final questions that would be on the test because I write a whole lot more questions than what are actually used.  It's all a fascinating process.  This spring I am going to Iowa City where I will actually get to sit in on finalizing some tests -- not the ACT but some of the ones they use for younger students to prepare them for the ACT.
 
Just for your information, the picture is from a school's production of one of my plays.  Haunted Hamlet is the one that I've written that seems to be most popular with people.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews