Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Missouri weather ... huh?

It got up to  55 degrees today after it was 14 degrees yesterday.  (Fahrenheit.  The U.S. needs to get with the rest of the world and convert to the metric system.  What are we waiting for?)

Gasoline jumped 15 cents a gallon today.  This resulted from the chaos in Iran and that country's threat to block ships from going through the Strait of Hormuz.  And then there's Iran's firing of three missiles the other day.  Are they suffering from sanctions, and like the beaten dog, growling just to make noise?  Are their threats to be taken seriously?  I don't know for sure, but they make me nervous.  At least this was the reason I heard yesterday.  Today, the news gave a different reason.  The only thing I know is that as a middle class tax payer I'm getting screwed again.  The oil companies had record profits last year.  Why can't they keep their prices lower to give us less than rich people a break?  It's because they don't give a crap about anyone but themselves.  I get furious just thinking about it.

I don't generally talk about politics either, but it was interesting to note that Romney won last night.  I wonder about the strategy of many voters who are not voting for the candidate who reflects their political views so much as they are voting for the candidate that they believe can beat President Obama. I think that logic is a bit off.  I personally have voted for candidates that I knew would lose simply because I could not in good conscience vote for the ones who had a chance of winning.

So much for my political and international commentary.

I think our country needs to make one major change, and I think we need to start it right away.  We need to have term limits for our Senators and Representatives.  I think we also need to have term limits for our supreme court justices.  I think every time a new man takes office as President, the oldest member of the supreme court -- or perhaps the one who has been on the court the longest -- should be forced to retire and then the President should appoint a new one.  If a President won a second term, he would still only be allowed to replace one total justice.  That way, every four or at most eight years, one justice would be replaced.   I don't think senators should be allowed more than three terms and representatives five.

I also think that candidates should have limited advertising budgets.

That's the way I see it, but I have been accused of being nearsighted.

Let me get to more personal matters.  I am really tired because I am back to the teaching grind.  As of yet, I have no papers to grade, but that will likely change next week.  I need to be doing something useful right now, and I think I will after I shower in a little while.  I want to go ahead and plot more of my screenplay out, simply because I am getting restless from not writing it.  I've been planning but not writing.

The Missouri Tigers basketball team remains undefeated.  They absolutely thumped Oklahoma last night.  I don't really watch basketball, but this Tigers team might be one I want to check out.  Sometimes, I will watch the March Madness games, but I usually don't watch any other time.

I have done nothing interesting lately, and I have no interesting thoughts.  How sad is that?  I just feel frazzled for some reason.  Burnt out maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews