Thursday, January 5, 2012

Allow me to introduce myself

Methodist Church symbol, the cross and flame

Yesterday, my blog started a debate that garnered some 40 comments on Facebook.

Some people take me for an ignorant liberal who has little or nothing of value to say on most major issues.  These people would rather I become a right wing conservative.  On the other hand, I consider myself a Christian and most left wing liberals also think my beliefs to be ignorant superstitions at best.  Say God and most people automatically believe you lose about 20 to 30 points off your IQ.  Let me be honest here.  I don't consider myself to be liberal, left wing, right wing, conservative, and frankly, it makes me nauseous to listen to the condescending attitude people have toward those who do not believe as they do.

When I tell people that I don't believe abortion is right, but it isn't my place to tell a woman she can't have one, I really get into trouble.  Christians hate people who say something like that.  We are like the Laodiceans (Sorry, Biblical reference) who are lukewarm and will be spewed out of God's mouth.  Of course, Liberals think I'm very close minded to even say I don't think abortion is right.  When I say Christians should not be judging other people's behavior, I become a heretic.  Sin is sin, by gosh (Sorry, liberals, I don't use the name of the Lord in vain.) and it is up to the Christian community to condemn those people to hell if they don't change their ways.  Get over yourself, Christians.  It's not now nor ever has been our responsibility to condemn and judge others. Right wingers are probably cringing after reading that last sentence.

Don't label me is what I am saying.  I am an American. I am a teacher, a father, a husband, a methodist, a writer, and I have English, Irish, Scotch, and Native American blood.  I can think what I want to, and you don't have to like it, but AND I really want to stress this: my opinion is just as valid as anyone else's -- even if it does contradict yours. Don't try to force me to change my mind and then call me stupid when I won't do it.  You don't have to listen to me.  I don't have to listen to you.

Let me tell you what else I am, well am not.  The 1%.  I'm probably in the lower middle section of the 99%.  I guess that would put me at 55 to 60 %  I have a daughter who is going to college.  She has a scholarship which pays for all of her tuition.  Still, I work three jobs and my wife works two to pay for the rest of what we owe for her education.  We make too much money for any grants.  I receive NO entitlements.  When I retire, I will also not receive any social security because I have a different retirement plan, one albeit that many would like to take away because supposedly teachers don't do their jobs.  I have never received unemployment insurance, food stamps, or welfare.  When I went to college, I did get a federal grant to pay for part of my tuition.  The rest of it I worked for or paid via scholarships which I worked hard to earn.  Even the scholarship which I received for four years had to be repaid with two years of service.  No one had better even hint that I am living off the government because I am not.  For the last 35 years of my life, I have never been out of work, but if something happened to me to cause me to lose my job, I not only would expect, but I would most definitely deserve unemployment compensation.  I have spent my entire life serving others as a teacher.

Well, that's just a little bit about me.  Take it easy, world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews