Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Quick thoughts with no unity or coherence despite the fact that I am a composition teacher.



List of what is going on in my brain.  Since there is no order in my brain, there is no order in my list.


  • Grading papers again today.  Kids are doing well.  I'm accomplishing a lot without killing myself.
  • Feeling much better; think I am officially over the flu unless I get a relapse.
  • Watched Helen Mirren's Elizabeth I on HBO the other day.  Great show, great actress.
  • Must be feeling nostalgic.  Got an itunes gift card and bought Neil Diamond's greatest hits and Three Dog Night's greatest hits.  They were bargains at $8.
  • Seriously considering readjusting my whole writing philosophy.  I have always been a seat of pantser type writer.  I think they call them organic writers.  Thinking about disciplining myself to become an outliner.
  • bought a screenwriting app for my iPad.  I like writing screenplays.  If I'm going to not publish maybe I should not publish what I enjoy writing.  How's that for chaotic logic?  I am going to attempt to use Blake Snyder's beats for this screenplay I am currently working on.  I'm rereading the book.
  • Why isn't Neil Diamond in the Rock and Roll hall of fame?
  • I didn't know that Three Dog Night did not write their own songs.
  • Been listening to Jamey Johnson too.  He's a great songwriter.  I like his traditional sound.  His song, Somewhere Between Jennings and Jones is a great one.  I've never been much of a fan of Jones's nasality, but I have always loved Waylon Jennings.
  • Still basking in the warmth of the Tigers massacre of North Carolina.  We also have a great basketball team.  (Actually I live nowhere close to Columbia, Missouri, and did not go to school there either.  Still, the whole state loves them.)
  • I'm drinking a 7 up.  Makes me think of the times when I was sick as a kid and Mom always had us drink 7 up to settle our stomachs.
  • My neice's husband has dreamed twice that their baby will be born on March 22, which is my mom's birthday.  He had this dream before he knew it was her birthday.  This is the niece who has been having all kinds of dreams about Meemaw.  I have only had one.
  • I watched a television special the other day that talked about how emperor Justin of Rome canonized the New Testament.  Though I am a Christian, I have to say it bothers me that a former pagan, though claiming to be converted to Christianity, set up the Bible which we claim to be the inscrutable word of God.  (Is that the right word: inscrutable?)  I have a lot of admiration for the Catholic church, but let's face it, their history hasn't exactly been above reproach.  Of course, you can say the same thing about all religions. Protestants have done their share of murder and mayhem.
  • This idea of the Bible being canonized by Justin doesn't weaken my faith, but it does make me wonder if we actually know all the answers.  I don't think Christianity has all the answers.
  • Wow, I have many more thoughts on my mind than I originally suspected.
  • I have finished both my soda and my lunch, so I am going to go back to work.  Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews