Monday, December 19, 2011

Fall of Knight -- screenplay excerpt -- new project


I started a screenplay with my character Dean Knight.  I think it might help me to get a handle on the story.  I have posted what I wrote tonight. It is in proper screenplay on the original document.  It just lost the formatting when I cut and paste it here.

I accomplished some things today. First, I wrote an article I hope ACT accepts for some future test.  I haven't written anything for them for a while.  Also, I finally got the family and me motivated enough to put up Christmas decorations.  It's been hard to get into the spirit so far, but I think I finally have begun to.  Megan is home from College for a while so that also helps.

Fall of Knight

FADE IN

EXT. COUNTRY ROAD - NIGHT

The rain pelts down in sheets.  A small Ford Festiva crests a hill that goes into a curve.

The car hydroplanes, slides off the road, and rolls twice into a concrete drainage ditch flowing with water.

INT. INSIDE WRECKED CAR - NIGHT

A woman, MRS. KNIGHT, around 33 with long black hair is curled into a ball on the roof of her car which is upside down.  Water begins to seep into the car.

Woman GROANS and CHOKES.

DEAN KNIGHT
Mom.

DEAN KNIGHT is ten or eleven.  He lies in the back part of the car.

MRS. KNIGHT
Dean.  Is Dee Dee ...

DEAN KNIGHT
She's not moving.

MRS. KNIGHT
Is she breathing?

DEAN KNIGHT
I'm scared.

MRS. KNIGHT
Get your sister out of the car, Dean.  Drag her out of this ditch.

Water creeps higher into the car.  Mrs. Knight tries to raise her head.

DEAN KNIGHT
What about --

MRS. KNIGHT
I'm fine.  Get Dee Dee out. Now!

Dean manages to shove the door open.  More water pours in and knocks him against the front seat.  He regains his balance.

He unfastens DEE DEE's seatbelt.  Dee Dee is his age, a twin.  Like Dean, she is thin and frail with pale skin.  The kids have the same luxurious long black hair that their mother does.

Dean drags his sister from the car and almost loses her in the rushing water which is now up to his knees.

He grabs her under her arms and pulls her toward the ditch.  Finally, he struggles onto the bank and drags her up the side of the hill.

He sits down on the ground and pants.  He looks at the car and the quickly rising water and jumps to his feet.

The current lifts the Festiva and sweeps it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews