Friday, December 2, 2011

Speaking of fudge


When I was a child, my mom used to make all kinds of homemade candy around Christmas. Her specialties were all kinds of fudge and something she called a peanut butter roll. It was divinity candy with a layer of peanut butter spread over it and then rolled up like a loaf. People my age probably remember the old fashioned jelly rolls you bought at the store. The peanut butter roll looked like one of those when it was finished. We were very poor, and for a time for various reasons we did not celebrate Christmas. But when we did, mom made her candy for gifts, and she also sold some. I can remember licking many spoons when I was a child and sometimes wishing the candy would not set up well so we could eat it. Mom wouldn't sell or give away anything that was not her best. Of course, I never considered that when one of her batches didn't turn out that she lost money. The smell of fudge cooking is a cherished childhood memory.

I missed three days of school the weekend of Thanksgiving because of my mom's death. Two of my students, bless their hearts, who knew the owners of a fudge shop in Bonne Terre told them about my mom's death and they made me pound of homemade fudge. It was delicious even though thinking about my mom also made it a little bittersweet.

 All of the kids and grand kids seem to be getting little messages from Meemaw that she's doing just fine now, and I think I got mine from a box of fudge delivered by some angels on Earth.

Chandler Fudge shop is located at 303 Division Street in Bonne Terre, which is French for "good Earth". Their slogan is "Good Earth, Good People, Great Fudge.". I can attest to the fact that all three are true. Give them a call at (573) 358-5542 or go visit them. Tell them that Meemaw Cross sent you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews