Friday, December 9, 2011

Trip to Cape

I am getting ready to take a trip to what is perhaps my favorite city because some of the best years of my life were spent there.  Cape Girardeau, MO is a town of 30 or 40 thousand people, more when Southeast Missouri State University is in session.  I got my bachelors and master's degree at Cape.  I went through a lot of firsts at Cape.  My first true love.  My first taste of independence. Some other firsts were not so good, so I won't go into those in this entry.  I still love the town.  It is roughly 72 miles from where I live, and it's nestled on the Mississippi River.  There are plenty of shops and places to visit without it having that "city" air to it.  I love the place.

Anyway, my daughter is now attending Southeast Missouri State University there, and like me, is going to become an English teacher.  When I see how much the college has changed -- yet stayed the same -- I am overwhelmed with both nostalgia and amazement at the same time.  The building where I spent most of my time Grauel Language Arts, is still the main English building.  It doesn't look any different.

When I started at SEMO, I guess I was 19.  Time has a way of slipping by just like the Mississippi River slips on by on its way to New Orleans and eventually into the gulf.  Would I like to be 19 again?  I don't know for sure if I would or not.  As long as my spirit is 19, I guess that's good enough.

Anyway, I look forward to spending the day with my daughter and taking care of the business we need to take care of.  While in Cape, I might even take a quick glance into the mirror of my past.  Would I laugh, smile, or cry if I saw the 19 year old me staring back at me.

The New Memorial Bridge reminds me how Cape is the link between my past, present, and future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews