Sunday, October 2, 2011

Excerpt: Morgan overthrows the queen.

http://www.buckscountypublishing.com/portal/BookStore/LancelotandtheTidesofTime.aspx
Link where you can purchase Lancelot and the Tides of Time

Morgan's Power
     Morgan closed the book. She had read it several
times since her thirteenth birthday. She realized very little
could keep her from getting everything she wanted. The
first thing she wanted was information.
     She paused at the foot of the staircase that led to the
corridor where her mother stayed. She replayed the spells
over and over in her mind until she had them memorized.
The only thing keeping them from coming to life were the
spoken words. All she had to do was speak, and the world
would bow at her feet. She liked that idea.
     She climbed the staircase up to the second floor
landing. Four guards stood at the head of the corridor.
     “What do you want?” One of them said, his hand
going to the handle of his sword.
     “I want to talk to my mother.”
     “The Lady is busy.”
     “I insist.”
     “I’m sorry. We are under orders.”
     Morgan stepped forward. A guard blocked her, his
hand reaching out to stop her.
     “Don’t touch me.”
     She spoke. The guard dropped to the floor in an
unconscious heap.
     “Let me pass.”
     “I have to stop you.”
     Morgan laughed. “As if you can,” she said. Again,
she spoke. The guards dropped where they stood. She
leaned over them. “Be glad I didn’t kill you.”
     Her mother’s room was two doors down on the right.
When she walked through the door, she saw her mother
sitting, her back turned away, as she looked into a mirror.
“Mother.”
     “Don’t call me, Mother.”
     The woman stood and turned slowly to face Morgan.
     “I don’t know how you got in here, and I don’t know
what you want, but I want you to leave.”
     “I don’t think so. Sit down.”
     “My daughter will not be ordering me around.”
     “Now.”
     Ygraine’s hand shot to her temple, and she groaned.
     “Don’t make me hurt you.”
     Ygraine sat. “What do you want?”
     “I want to know what happened when my father
died.”
     Ygraine looked as if someone had slapped her.
     “Get out of here.” Ygraine went rigid. Her eyes
rolled back until only the whites showed. She sat as if
petrified for a few seconds, and then Morgan released her.
     “You don’t give the orders around here anymore.”
     Terror flooded into Ygraine’s expression.
     “I’ll ask you again. What happened to my father?”
     “It won’t do anyone any good for me to tell you.”
Ygraine groaned.
     “I can keep hurting you all day, Mother, or you can
tell me what I need to know.”
     “What if I won’t tell you?”
     “I can suck it out of your head, but I would kill you
in the process.”
     “You wouldn’t do that to your mother.”
     “Why not? You have been slowly killing me ever
since that night. Tell me what happened. Why don’t you
love me?”
     Ygraine’s resolve crumbled. “I can’t love anyone,
Morgan.”
     “What do you mean? And don’t lie to me; I will
know it.”
     “That night, it wasn’t your father who came to me.”
     “I knew something was wrong with him.”
     “It was Uther Pendragon.”
     “Uther doesn’t look – it was magic.”
     “Merlin made him look like my husband. At the
same time he was with me, his armies killed my husband.
That’s the story.”
     “I can tell you’re speaking the truth, but I know
you’re hiding something. What is it?”
     “You don’t want to know.”
     “Let me be the judge. Do not try to fight me,
Mother.”
     “I had a son by Uther.”
     “Who?”
     “Arthur, king of Camelot.”
     “Why didn’t you tell me this?”
     “It would have meant nothing.”
     “On the contrary. It means everything.”
     “What?”
     “I have as much a claim to Camelot as Arthur does.”
     “No, you must leave well enough alone.”
     “No, YOU must leave well enough alone. Go,
Mother. Get out of this country. I am taking my place as
mistress of this castle.”
     “You can’t do this.”
     “You can’t stop me. Get out of here. You have one
day.”
     “You can’t live here alone; you are just a girl.”
     “Arthur is just a boy and he is king.”
     “But he has Merlin.”
     “Merlin?”
     “Never mind.”
     “Tell me.”
     Ygraine groaned and sank into the chair.
     “Get up and tell me.”
     Ygraine rose off the seat and hung suspended in the
air. She gasped.
     “Tell me, or so help me, I will kill you.”
      “Merlin … is … a wizard.”
     Ygraine fell in a heap.
     “One day, Mother. One day.”
     Morgan strode from the room.
     “I’m impressed.”
     Morgan stopped. She was about to fire off a spell at
the unknown person who dared speak to her.
     “Calm down, Morgan. I’m here to help you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews