Saturday, October 29, 2011

World Series Hangover and some other news for a Saturday morning

In my lifetime I have seen Cardinal World Championships in 1964, 1967, 1982, and 2006


Though I didn't drink a drop of alcohol, I do have a World Series hangover.  The Cardinals had a season of destiny.  It was a fairytale year, a classic story that should be made into a Hollywood movie -- at least in my humble opinion, but what do I know?  I am a Cardinals fanatic and have been for years as was my father and my grandfather.  I stayed up until 1 a.m. watching all the celebrations.  I'm too old to do that anymore.  The thing is I did it twice in a row.  One of the greatest storylines to come out of this series is David Freese, the hometown boy who comes back to be MVP in the World Series.  Wow.  All right, enough of the Cardinals for now.  I will report on their offseason moves as they come up.  It's liable to be an interesting winter.

I spoke with a person yesterday who has received electro convulsive therapy for a mental illness.  I have been looking for a person to talk to because the character in my novel I'm working on has had it.  I did research on the subject which helped me find out a few things, but research isn't a primary source.  I have to absorb a lot of what this person told me before I speak of it with much coherence, but this person did tell me a couple of this.

I asked if there were any regrets for having the treatments.  This person told me that there were none.  If not for the treatments this person would have been dead.  I asked about side effects.  This person said that there were 30 years in (since I'm tired of saying this person, I'm going to use an initial.  W.) their life that they can't remember.  (I know that their is a pronoun antecedent agreement error but I don't want to say he or she.)  W said that they, at one time, had a house and a van but somewhere during the course of their treatment these disappeared and they don't remember what happened.  This is just one of the things that W told me.  W said that they believe they had hundreds of treatments over the last 30 years.

One of the most important things to come out of my interview with W is this.  So many negative feelings are associated with ECT, and we get all of these negative images from Hollywood and books, such as what happens to Jack Nicholson's character in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.  The truth of the matter is that ECT is a very humane treatment that saves lives.  W told me and I stress this, that despite everything that happened, W would take the treatments again and is alive today because of them.  I'll explore this further in further blogs.  Now, I need to decide how I intend to use this information in my book.

I have a lot more to say on this issue, but this blog is already getting long.  I would like  to thank the 108 people who looked at my blog yesterday.  I would sure like to have that number again today or perhaps even more.


I haven't mentioned it for a while, but my book is still available, and it's really good, I think.
http://www.buckscountypublishing.com/portal/BookStore/LancelotandtheTidesofTime.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews