Monday, November 28, 2011

Winter? Already?

It sleeted on me earlier. It's too early in the year to worry about snow and ice and snow days, but I keep hearing whisperings that it is going to be a bad winter. Oddly enough, the weather is worse farther south than we are. I like winter less and less every year. I love the beauty of a big, wet snow, but not the cold and the ice. I always fear I will get caught at school during an ice storm and have to drive 35 miles home in it. The wind is also howling out there. It is just a cold, dark, wet, miserable night,not fit for man nor beast.

I was reading about a basketball game where one team massacred the other 100 to 2, and the school board was thinking of canceling the winning team's season for poor sportsmanship. As I read the article I discovered that the winning team had stopped their full court press when they went up 20 to zero, and then they played all of their substitutes. What else can they do? Stand around and just hold the ball? The sad truth of life is that there are times in life when you not only lose, but you lose badly. We can't always protect our kids. Losing every once in a while builds character and keeps us humble.

Stephen Crane, known primarily as the author of Red Badge of Courage, also wrote poetry. One of his poems is about a man, who down on his luck, goes up to nature and says, "Sir, I exist." Nature says, "That may very well be true, but it creates in me no sense of obligation whatsoever."

We need to be grateful that we exist, and we should try to make our way in life without trying to make someone take away the bad parts. Life may not be fair all the time, but we should always remember that death is. It treats all of us equally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews