Monday, November 14, 2011

Thinking about England and the rest of the United Kingdom

Chaucer


Greetings to my readers from the United Kingdom.  My total there shot up by several just in the last few days. I hope to visit there before I die.  I would like to show the people from the United Kingdom that Americans are not all idiots; in fact, most of us are just fine people. The history, the literature of the United Kingdom-- nothing beats them. Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Byron, Shelly, Keats, Henry Fielding, Charles Dickens, and George Orwell.  1984 is one of my favorite books of all time.  I am also amazed every time I read Mary Shelly's Frankenstein.  I almost forgot one of my all-time favorites, Chaucer.  I remember making an A in a Chaucer class I took with one of the primary reasons for getting that grade being that I read middle English so well.  Well, at least I read it the way my instructor thought it should be read.  American literature does not have the depth and diversity of English literature.  In college, I took English literature I and II, Shakespeare, the Victorian age, the Romantic Age, and Chaucer. I remember a friend of mine stating that we needed to have our kids reading more nonfiction rather than stuff written by dead white Europeans.  I thought that was one of the most ridiculous comments I have ever heard.

Well, my dreams of Camelot and the English countryside and the Kathcart castle will have to wait as I come back to the United States.  We are under a tornado watch which always scares the hell out of me.  Does England have tornadoes.  I really don't know for sure.  I know they get a lot of rain.  Missouri gets everything.  Sometimes, in a 24 hour period.

I really should go because I need to grade papers.  If I ever went to England, I would have to take myself some coffee.  I'm not that big on tea.  (I know that's a typical idiotic American stereotype of English lifestyle.) Bye now.  If anyone from the United Kingdom wanted to tell me about where he or she lives and works, I would love to hear it.

I live in a small town of less than 1,000 people.  Arcadia, MO.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews