Saturday, August 6, 2011

Weekend R and R

Well, I have another thing to cross off my bucket list although this was not a really big one like ziplining. I had never been to Meramec Caverns, so we took a little trip, went to Meramec caverns, ate at Cowen's Restaurant in Washington, Mo, and then spent the night in a B and B in Marthasville. Today we went to the Daniel Boone home in Defiance, MO. It was a nice trip, kind of a short anniversary trip for us. It was nice to get away here right before school starts again. Not much else to report. I would have to say though that Meramec Caverns is just amazing. Whenever I see such wonderful places of beauty, my faith is strengthened.

One of the most incredible things to me, and I don't know why it fascinated me so much, was the water. It was crystal clear and worked the way a mirror does. It gave a perfect reflection of the cave's ceilings and formations, and there were parts of the cave where you looked into the water and it looked as if you were standing on top of a huge canyon and the water was hundreds of feet deep, when in all actuality it was only about 3 feet deep. It was such a strange illusion. I can just see a character in one of my fantasy novels jump off a high cliff thinking he was jumping into a huge pool of water only to find it a few feet deep. I know that's a bit morbid, but you have to admit it's interesting. I can also envision a comic scene where one character threatens to sink a character into a three hundred foot pool of water and then shove him in only to have him discover it's three feet deep. I guess that's a bit morbid too. At any rate a cavern like Meramec caverns would be a great setting for a fantasy novel.

I guess this week I'll actually have to think about going back to school and preparing myself. I won't do this year the same way as I did last year. I never teach the same way from year to year. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it's just the way it is. I am not organized well enough to do something exactly the same all the time. Besides, I think it can get kind of boring that way. I teach so many ways; one is bound to work.

If anyone wishes to become a follower of my blog or my tweet, please feel free to do so. I'm just experimenting with it now, but my hope is to make it something you will want to read all the time. One can hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews