Monday, August 15, 2011

Dunno what to say

I dunno.  Have you ever heard that expression?  Does it make you want to choke someone?  Perhaps that's a bit extreme, but it is annoying, like a lot of other pat expressions people use.  How about "Whatever"?

This is one of those nights I don't have a lot to say, but I can always talk about nothing at a great deal of length.  Nothing is a pronoun, by the way; a lot of people don't know that.  In fact, a lot of people don't know what a pronoun is anyway.  Do schools teach the parts of speech anymore?  I intend to give my composition students a diagnostic test to see what they know about basic grammar and writing terminology.  I mean, it's not going to do me much good if I tell them their pronoun and antecedent don't agree if they don't know what those are. Grammar is the ugly duckling of English classes, but if one learns to master it, he or she can create beautiful swan-like prose. (My pronoun one and antecedent he or she agree; did you notice that?)

I am a bit tired tonight, but I plan on working on my novel for a few minutes.  Ah, I just thought of something else I need to do.  This is a paying gig not just one that I hope to be paid for one of these days.  I guess it should get priority.

Just a couple of weeks until my novel comes out.  Stay tuned for more excerpts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews