Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mad Cow, Take a Walk, Clear writing

Today, I feel very lazy and sleepy.  I see a nap in my future.  Ah, the simple joys of life.
Did you know this is a complete sentence?  Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.  Sorry.  Don't know why I thought that.  If you think about it, it makes sense.

I tell my students that when they hand in their writing make sure they hand in writing that is clear, concise, correct, and creative.  Here's a writing exercise for you.  Leave your answers in the comment section if you want.

Think of the number of synonyms there are for walk.  If you want your meaning to be precise, don't say walk, say "Strut".  Don't look at someone; glare at them.  Words have so many connotations, and good writers make use of them.  When you write, you can't rely on vocal tone and nonverbal communication. You have to rely on precise words.  What are the synonyms that you can think of for walk.  I bet, if you try, you can come up with at least fifteen to twenty.

While I'm at it, I'd like to recommend a book.  There is a really interesting novel called Going Bovine, by Libba Bray.  It's about a boy who gets mad cows disease.  In it, reality and fantasy become mixed.  The novel I'm working on has a similar motif.  I would post a picture of the novel cover, but I think that's illegal.  Be careful though; it's not for young, young adults.  It has some mature themes in it.

I'm always looking for young adult novels to read.  My favorite genre is fantasy or psychological drama.  If anyone knows some good stuff, let me know and I'll pass the word along.

These are the links to order my book.  You can get it on Kindle, Nook, or in paperback.  I will make arrangements to autograph -- if at all possible -- copies of any paperback bought.  Of course, if you would like for me to leave you alone, buy Lancelot on Kindle or Nook.  Seriously, I'm not trying to be pushy.  I'm just excited.

http://www.amazon.com/Lancelot-Tides-Time-ebook/dp/B005IDNASS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1314228494&sr=8-5

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/lancelot-and-the-tides-of-time?r=1


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews