Monday, March 19, 2012

Procrastination Destination


Spring means wasps, and I hate wasps.

I'll never get there.  "There" is the place where I'm totally caught up.  The place where I can take a deep breath and relax.  I won't even get "there" during the summer when the school year is over because I teach summer classes.  Even if I didn't have classes I wouldn't get "there" because I have writing that I need to do.  The more work I have the more I procrastinate; I'm thinking it's because of that feeling of sinking in quicksand.  Are you ever going to get out of it?  I'm not.  I will never be caught up.   Henry David Thoreau was right when he said we need to simplify.  (I think that was from Thoreau.)  How do you do this when you have so many obligations?  I have to tell you; it's exhausting sometimes.

A few summers ago we went to Michigan.  The most heavenly feeling I had during that vacation was the times I just sat on the beach next to the Lake and watched and heard the water as it lapped onshore.  Most relaxing sound in the world.  Peace is like a river or a lake.  I don't know how many of my readers believe in the devil, but I do.  I think the biggest weapon he uses against us is giving us things to keep us too busy to stop and think about what we are doing in our lives.  Even if you don't believe in some evil entity in the world, I think you'd have to admit that we are so busy going and doing and working and even playing that we never think about who we are or what we are doing.

It's a beautiful day here in Missouri.  It got up to 82 degrees, and we had some wonderful sunshine.  I'm in the southeastern part of the state.  The western portion of the state is getting some heavy rain.  We have had such weird weather.  Over 20 inches of snow in Arizona, where it is supposed to be warm.  The problem in Missouri with extra warm weather early is that the allergy season gets underway sooner, stays longer, and hits harder.  Bugs, especially ants and wasps (which scare the crap out of me) will be especially numerous this year.  I even cut grass.  I never cut grass in March.

I would like to reinvent myself if I possibly could.  I don't know how I would do it, but I would sure like to.  It might be a post-mid life crisis, I don't know.

I've been listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn today.  I have lately become a big fan of the blues.  This doesn't really surprise me because the blues are closely related to one of my favorite kinds of music: southern rock.  ZZ Top, Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrs, 38 special, Marshall Tucker etc. I guess I am a redneck, but I don't care.

Well, I have nothing interesting to say.  I am going to sign off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews