Monday, March 26, 2012

Poetry defined.



I used to write poetry, and I loved writing poetry.  I don't know why I quit.  It challenged me in a number of way -- to make the biggest impression in the smallest number of words.  To snap someone's head off with the force of an image.  This is what poetry is.  It isn't sentimental claptrap; it is tiny blades scraping off skin so that the blood beads up and drips into the dust that will one day cover us all.  Ah,  I  remember now why I quit writing poetry; mine was always depressing.  I guess I don't write it much anymore because perhaps I am not as depressed as I used to be.

Here's a challenge.  Define poetry by using one sentence employing a poetic device.

Here's mine, "Poetry is tiny blades scraping off skin until life drips out."  (poetic device: metaphor)

Now, you try it.  The best definitions will get ... will get ... my hearty congratulations.  Sorry, poets don't have much money.

I love to read poetry, and I'm amazed at people who can write the kind of poems that move me -- sometimes in ways I can't even explain.  That's the beauty of poetry.  You don't explain it; you just feel it.  I wish I could move people with my writing the way poets have moved people with their writing.

Monday's gone.  Just over a week until I go to Iowa City to work with the ACT people.  Looking forward to it.  I expect to learn a great deal and hopefully make a good impression on them while I am there.  I still have much work to do in order to prepare myself for it.

Beautiful spring weather today.  Lots of sunshine, warm temperature.  I know it's almost April, but what we're having right now is more typical for May here in Missouri.

Well, I should go now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews