Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Checking In

My composition students are writing in their journals and I think it is important for them to see their instructor writing also.  Instead od doing a jurnal, however, I am writing in here.  It has been a pretty good day in that I got out of the funk I was in and got some work done that needed to get done.  I always postpone school work, but today, I just sat down and did a bunch of it.  Still have quite a bit to do, but that's normal.  It doesn't in, especially since I teach English and composition at that.

I look forward to getting home tonight and relaxing.  I might try to pound out a page of my screenplay.  Who knows what I might do anyway? 

I would like to try getting MAC to let me adopt the Longman Reader for both my composition I and Composition II classes.  I'm not a big fan of the Writing Arguments book Mac prefers for Comp II.  The Longman is a lot more practical.  I always prefer practicality over philosophy.  I want my kids to know how to write argumentation, and I don't care so much that they know all about classical rhetoric and argumentation.  Toulmin's Scehmata is just a fancier way of labeling the parts of argumentation which most of us have always taught.

That's enough for now, though I do want to add that I have a lot of respect for philosophy and for Toulmin.  I just want my students to do, not read about doing.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews