Saturday, February 4, 2012

Are other pastures really greener?

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures.

I am thinking about pursuing some new career plans which, if fulfilled, would take me out of teaching and out of state.  I don't want to say much about it now for many different reasons, but among them is the fact that, at this time of year every year, I get very restless, and I always start dreaming about greener pastures.  So, this, as in other years, might just be a passing fancy that flames brightly and then fizzles.  However, this one I have discussed at length with my wife.  I also did some checking on my teacher's retirement and some concerns I had about it and found what I think is unbelievably good news.

In teaching, and at this phase of my life, I feel like I am working myself to death during a time period when I should actually be slowing down and enjoying the downhill side of middle age.  I have become so disillusioned with teaching, and the continued lack of respect that teachers get that it is driving me from the business.  It is sad too because I have always considered myself a very good teacher, and I think most people would agree.  I am the kind of person that teaching should be attracting not driving away.  

Let me explain my situation here a little bit.  I have a master's degree in English and teach almost all college-bound seniors.  My students make good grades and are highly motivated when they come into my class, and my goal is to make them reach into themselves even further to pull out what they don't even know they have.   If I were evaluated according to my students' test scores, I would look pretty darn good because I have the brightest kids anyway.  Now, many of my colleagues are wonderful teachers who are teaching in front of unmotivated, uncaring students.  Now this poor attitude could come from home, personal circumstances, within themselves.  I'm not going to judge.  (Though I do believe a lot of problems start at home.)  Some of my colleagues, I'd even say, were better teachers than I -- and I'm pretty damn good -- but they have the students who will score lower on standardized tests.  Now, is it fair for my colleagues to be judged under these circumstances.  Absolutely not.  It amazes me that a bunch of politicians who have severe hub (head up butt) disease are making laws about education when they have never been in the classroom.

Sorry, I didn't mean to rant.  This was a roundabout way of saying I'm tired of the education business, and I'd like to get it before it drives me to an early grave.

Well, if I decide to stay exactly where I am, I already have a job for the summer.  No, believe it or not, most teachers -- especially if they have kids in college (since they don't qualify for federal grants) -- don't take the summer off.  Even if they are not doing a second job, they are working their tails off to prepare for the coming year or taking college classes in an attempt to rise on the pay scale.  Central Methodist University at Mineral Area College has asked me to teach two Expository writing classes.  I would be teaching on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5 to 11 p.m.  Last year, I worked on Friday at the Fredericktown campus, but I'm not sure if the director there will be wanting me again this year or not.  I'm guessing she will.

Work has slowed on my screenplay because my school work has swamped it, but I have finished 56 pages. I'm going to finish one scene before the midpoint which will be an explosive one.

I hope my blogs don't bore my readers.  I'm just a common joe, nothing special.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews