Friday, January 4, 2013

Thank God's It's Friday

I have continued working on my Young Adult novel, The Fall of Knight.  Today, I passed the 55,500 word mark.  I think it will be about 70,000 words by the time it is all over.  The climax of the novel is approaching fast.   I hope I can keep myself within the haze of creativity which I have been in lately.  I have discovered an important lesson in the writing of this novel.  I've learned it's very important to not let a day go by without working on a project.  It's like the scent that a blood hound follows.  If you let it go for too long without following it, you lose all interest in it.  That has always been my problem with my writing.  I would have periods -- generally the summer time and during long vacations from school when I would really be inspired, but then when school got busy, I would not write, and the story would go cold on me.  It's hard to keep up the flow if you hesitate too much.

I am still eating on the leftover candy from the Christmas season.  So there's at least one resolution I have not been working on very hard in 2013 yet.  I don't really have too many others except for the one about being more consistent in my writing.  I have so far done that.  I have to do 2 or 3 thousand words a week at least.  If I can keep at it, I want to write every day as I have been.  I am not going to have to work as hard this semester because I have fewer students.  This will be a great relief.

I don't have any sports to watch for a while.  I don't care for basketball until it gets to the March madness season, and then I watch some of the games.  I haven't watched much college football this year either.  The Tigers did not have a great season so that didn't help.  The Rams were interesting.  They finished 7-8-1.  I think they'll win 9 or 10 games next year depending on who they pick up in the draft.  They are still not the same class as the elite teams, but they are at least talented enough to where they can win on any given Sunday.

As far as the baseball Cardinals go, I don't have any idea how they will do this year.  I think they will have a great pitching staff.  I don't think they will have enough hitting, and I think their defense will bit them in the rear a lot too.

I am getting ready to start another book.  My literature course is going to be assigned One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest which is one of my favorite books.  I'll read the occasional young adult novel as interesting ones comes available.  I love to read.

Lately, I have been listening to a lot more mellow music.  I do and have always liked groups with good harmony.  Lately I've picked up on Nickel Creek, Milk Carton Kids, the Civil Wars, Clannad and some others.  I took a chance on a group called the Lumineers.  I read about them.  I've kind of gotten to where I like a genre that I can only describe as alternative folk.  Weird, huh?

Well, I guess I need to be signing off.  I plan on posting another novel excerpt some time this weekend.  I really need some feedback now that I am getting close to being finished with the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews