Saturday, January 19, 2013

Not that I'm an expert or anything, but ...

The writer's job is to make his/her characters live.

I have been thinking a lot about writing, and I'm going to give a few pieces of advice that have seemed to be helpful to me -- relatively speaking.  I mean I've published a few things and made some money, but heaven knows I haven't been able to quit my day job and likely never will -- unless you count retirement.

I think the two most important thing writers can focus on are voice and character.  The saying is true that there are no new stories, just different takes on the old ones.  I believe that.  So what will make you stand out -- besides, that is, basic professionalism.  Every author is an individual so that means every author says thing in a different manner than any other author.  If you have happen to have a voice people like to listen to, then you are one step ahead of everyone else. I read writers who have voice.  I don't like formulaic material. It is only in the last two years that I have been developing my voice.  I'm slightly manic depressive, so I can be a lot of different voices, so I have embraced that.  My characters are not predictable, that's for sure. Who are you?  What is it that makes people like you?  If you can somehow transfer that to the page, you're in good shape.

I'm also convinced that a writer must have fascinating characters.  I don't know about anyone else, but when I remember great movies or great books, I remember people.  Memorable characters would be great in any story.  Huck Finn is one of the greatest characters of all time. Samwise and Frodo, likewise.  I spend some time with my characters, and when they surprise me by what they do in the story, then I know I'm going somewhere.

I also think that it is crucial for writers to write.  I know that sounds stupid, but it's true.  In my life as a teacher, I frequently am faced with tons of paperwork.  There were times when I would not touch a story for days because of all the work I had to do, and of course, when I got back to it, it was like eating a cold, soggy sandwich.  No joy in it.  I slip into zones when I write and experience great joy when I do.  I can crank out 1,000 or 2,000 words a day when I'm in a zone. But I've also discovered that even if I can only write 500 words in one day, I can recapture the zone when I pick my story up again.  I think it is absolutely essential to avoid writer's block.

This leads me to my next point.  I don't think writers should be afraid to explore other genres and forms.  When I'm struggling with something in fiction for instance, I'll try to do it as a scene from a screenplay.  And generally, I'm working on at least two projects at once so that if I stall on one, I can work on the other.  Finally, read and then read some more.  How can you possibly expect to be published if you don't read what already is published?  Reading to me is a source of inspiration.  By reading some of John Green's work, I opened a completely new vein in my own work.

Enough from me about writing.  I'm just happy with what I'm doing and sometimes that happiness bubbles over and I have to share.

Today was a rather uneventful day as is most days in my life.  I have graded papers for a large portion of the day, but I have put them aside.  Later on, I intend to work on my novel.  I am so close to being finished.  It was a beautiful day here in Missouri with temperatures near 60. Temperatures are going to plunge in the next day or two with lows in the single digits Monday night I think.  Missouri weather is like a middle-aged woman going through menopause.  I don't mean anything sexist by that.  If you have lived with a menopausal woman or suffered it yourself, you know exactly what I am talking about.  Well, anyway, I did take advantage of the day and my wife and I went for a walk.  I have joined a gym in my efforts to get myself back in shape.  I will keep you posted on how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews