Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Fall of Knight Excerpt: New Girl in Dean's Life?


          

This Young Lady would be perfect to play the part of Roxanne in Fall of Knight
As I am about to finish my milk like a good patient who has been called a danger to self and others, I look up to see Rocky coming into the dining area.  John walks up to her, but she brushes past him and walks in my direction.  If looks could kill – John would be going up on murder charges – and I would be worm food.  In Hamlet – don’t ask me why I have suddenly thought of Hamlet – Hamlet talks about the worm who has “et” if I recall correctly of the rich man and how that worm could be put on the hook of a poor fisherman to catch the fish that the poor fisherman eats for supper and thus the rich man passes through the guts of the beggar.  I totally get this scene.  Of course, Hamlet is nuts at this time and has just murdered Polonius for reasons I can never understand.  At least I had a reason for nearly killing Jerret.
            Rocky sits beside me. John leaves the room, and only Rocky and I remain at the table.
“I’ll tell you about my beast if you tell me about yours,” she says, and I feel as if I’m a kid who’s just been asked to play doctor with the neighbor girl.  She puts her hand on my leg and I feel myself stiffen – in more ways than one. 
“Who was it?”  I ask.  I think I know the kind of beast Rocky is battling.
            She jerks her hand away – which is what I want and don’t want at the same time.  “My mother’s boyfriends.”
            “Friends?”
            Rocky looks down in shame.  “I had a friend once who told me he got together with this girl because her mom was such a great cook.  Stupid bastard.  My mom’s friends got together with her because it made it easy for them to get together with me.  Repeatedly.”
            I want to tell her how sorry I am, but most of us who are crazy, know saying you’re sorry is pretty lame.  It’s like telling someone who’s being burned alive that you’ll get them a glass of water. I feel a helpless kind of rage inside me because I know there’s nothing I can do to put out Rocky’s fire.  Meds will damper it, but she’ll never be all right.  She’ll never be cool.
            “I’ve never told anyone this,” she says.
            “They think you have clinical depression.  The suicide attempts.  They don’t know the real reason?”
            “And they never will.”
            “But why?  The bastards who did this to you–“
            “Will get away with it because I'm not telling. If I do,  I’ll be the dirty bitch forever.  The one banged by all her stepfathers.”
            I don’t argue with her because I know it’s true.  People will feel sorry for you but say you asked for it behind your back.
            “Your mom?”
            “She’s on number six now.  She says he’s nice.”
            “Maybe he is,” I say.
            A young woman in a clean white coat comes into the dining area.  She must be the relief.
            “I’m just now eating, Dr. Adams,” Rocky says.
            Dr. Adams looks at me.
            “I’m new here.  I’m not sure where to go next.”
            “You’re Dean, right?”
            “Correct,” I say.
            “You need to come with me.  Usually at 6, we do group with one of the night crew, or we do follow up visits to deal with the day’s events.  I need to visit with you for a few minutes, Dean. Rocky, you’ve had a bad day, according to Dr. King.  You need to go to your group.”  Two orderlies come in. “Make sure Rocky makes it to the group meeting.  Come along, Dean.”
             “She thinks I’m going to kill myself on the way,” Rocky says.
            “I don’t risk anything with desperate people,” Dr. Adams says.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews