Monday, January 15, 2018

How do you journal?

12 days left in my, "Please Help me Publish my Book Campaign."
 Of course I am going to use this link. Again.

I'd like some advice on journaling. This is a serious question. I don't like the way I journal. I'll just give you basics. I like to write some of my journals out pen to paper, and I like to use the computer on some of them. I'm old-fashioned enough that there's something that feels good about using a fountain pen to write a journal. (I don't like regular pens, but I really don't have and don't need a fancy fountain pen.  I found one on ebay for less than a dollar and it works fine.) The big disadvantage of a written journal is that they can get lost easily and it's hard to find stuff you need to find. The big advantage that a computer has is that I can save my entries in dropbox or Onedrive and have them to go back to whenever  I want to.  For a few years now, I have used a separate file for each year. A disadvantage of a computer is that it just doesn't feel as authentic to me.  I know. That's silly.   I usually keep two journals, one written and one typed, but I sometimes think this is ridiculous.
My next question is, "When you journal, what do you include?" I find that I say the same things most of the time, and if I include some stuff about my writing, I tend to forget where I put it. Some people say that they keep a writer's journal, but the last thing I need is a third journal. I already have computers and notebooks strewn throughout the house. I teach, and a lot of times when I am sitting before class or during a break, I'm writing in another journal that I keep in a separate notebook. You can imagine the difficulties in dealing with all of these things.

One of the things I do in my journal that I like is to write myself a letter at the beginning of each new year and each month that sets out some goals for that month or that year. I do this on my computer because it is easy to find.  This helps me a lot to keep me on target because I have a huge problem with focus.

If anyone out there has any suggestions on keeping a good journal, you can comment on this blog or drop me an email at thecrosses@gmail.com
Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews