Monday, April 30, 2012

Part 2: Walt Michaels is a Weeny (blog novel)



I hope that a lot of you will take the time to read this blog novel and offer me some feedback on it.  I'm trying very hard to keep the excerpts short so it won't take more than I couple of minutes to read them.  This is like the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, but I wrote mine first.  I think mine are better too.  Please feel free to comment.  Part one was posted yesterday.  If you need to, go back and read it also.

I slipped into my favorite jeans and t-shirt and slapped on my St. Louis Cardinals hat. After I took a quick look at myself in the mirror, I started down the stairs. Remembering that it was Saturday and that my dad would be at his music store all day long improved my mood dramatically.
Most of the kids at school figure that since my dad owns a music store he is cool. He can be sometimes.
When I got downstairs, I saw Mom was halfway asleep in her chair. Since she had her eyes closed, I didn’t figure she was actually reading the newspaper she held.
“Who won the game last night?” I asked, making her jump awake.
“Your dad said they won six to two.”
“What are you reading?”
Mom sighed. Her sighs always seemed slightly sad in some sinister way--sorry for the alliteration.  I’m a writer.  We do stuff like that sometimes.  My mom is too nice to be sinister. That’s why I never could figure why she married Dad. Alliteration, by the way, is the repetition of initial consonant sounds. We poets know that. I liked to use it when I wrote poems. Boy, the guys would laugh me back into the fifth grade if they knew I wrote poetry.
Guys and Dolls is coming to the Fox,” Mom said.
           “Any of those dolls good looking?”
“It’s a musical, Walt. I starred in it when I went to college.”
“You went to college?” Amazing. I’d been her kid all my life and I never knew she went to college.
“For a while. Then I met your father.” She sighed again.
“Just think, Mom, if you hadn’t met Dad, you wouldn’t have had me.”
She smiled. “Too late to change that now.”
“Very funny,” I said, but inside, I didn’t feel like laughing. Dad was forty-one when I was born and Mom thirty-seven.  Dad always said I was an accident.  The way he looks at me sometimes I think what he really means is that I was a mistake. I snatched the paper from her. “Get Dad to take you up there to see it.”  Now, that’s funny, I thought.
She looked at me like I was stupid.
          “Three home runs last night. Awesome!”
I handed the paper back to Mom, who folded it up and set it aside like a bad Christmas present.
 “So ask him,” I said.
“Your dad won’t even go to see a ball game, much less to the theater.”
“If I could drive, I’d take you.” I kissed her on the cheek. “I’m going for a bike ride. You think if I stopped by the store, Dad would give me money for some baseball cards?”
“It depends--”
“On his mood. I know.” This time, I sighed and dashed out the door.
I decided not to chance hitting my dad up for some cash, so I just rode past the store and out into the country.
Stock car racer, Walt Earnhardt, stares at the track in front of him. His machine roars under him like a jet plane. He hits the curve at a hundred and eighty miles per hour and screeches around it. He hits the straightaway. His engine wails like a banshee straight from hell. He sees the camouflage flag waving in the breeze. Camouflage?
 I cruised around the curve at thirty miles per hour and headed for Duckwater Creek. I braked as I saw a man, dressed in camouflage, standing on the bridge. When I heard a loud crack, I slammed on the brakes almost throwing myself over the handlebars.
The old man, known fondly as Crazy Cooter, pointed his pistol at something on the bank. When the gun cracked again, I decided I would probably forget relaxing at Duckwater Creek that day, so I turned around and headed back toward home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews