Sunday, May 4, 2014

Writer's Heaven




                                                        Author Jason Mott: The Returned
As a writer, I have to tell you, the last two weeks have been heaven for me.  Last weekend, I went to the MO. SCBWI retreat for PAL writers in Springfield.  I stayed in a luxurious B and B called the Elfindale.  It was a full weekend of talking to other writers, writing, and meeting people who have succeeded in the business to varying degrees.  Lots of interesting people there.  Good food and a great ambience also. While there I participated in a feedback group and got some awesome feedback on my novel, and I also got some insider information about publishing and the kinds of things that make your book stand out from others.  It was very beneficial, and I can't wait until my day job ends for the year, and I have the summer to explore some possibilities.

Last night, I went to a reception for Jason Mott, the writer of the Returned, which is the novel that the television show Resurrection is based on. He was very funny, warm, friendly, and down-to-earth, the kind of guy you'd like to go out and have a beer with and discuss the meaning of life.  His inspiration for The Returned was very interesting.  He also gave us some inside information about the business of publishing.  His story is interesting because the optioning of his book for the television show and the publication of it were almost simultaneous.  Usually, a book has to prove its staying power before it gets optioned.  He had three studios interested in it, and eventually, settled for ABC.

Last night's reception was so nice.  It was held at one of the local B and B's.  Each couple who came got a free copy of the book, there was free wine, and cheese, sausage and all kinds of bread and crackers.  Some of Arcadia's well-known folk were there.  My wife was not interested in going with me, so I took my daughter Megan.  She had a wonderful time, as did I.

All of us mingled until about nine, and then Mr. Mott, told us a little about his journey to publication.  Then, he read an excerpt from the book and fielded questions.  I asked a couple questions I thought people might be interested in knowing.  He has actually published a couple collections of poetry.  In fact, he published them before he published his book.  He talked about how much he loved narrative poetry like The Odyssey, The Illiad, and Beowulf, and that he writes narrative poetry so it sort of goes along with his fiction.  I would like to look up some of his poetry and read it also.  I too like narrative poetry.

I am going to try to keep up with my blog a little bit more than I have because I am going to do my best to publish a novel soon and I need a steady online presence.  The editor who spoke to us at the retreat last weekend said that it was important. I'm doing all right with twitter and facebook, but I'm not doing well with my blog.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews