Monday, May 26, 2014

You know what I'd like ...


I would actually like a lot of different things, but one of the first things I would like would be to see the Yankees and the Cardinals in the World Series this year. Fifty years ago in 1964, the Cardinals beat the Yankees in seven games. Another thing I would like to see should this dream meeting come to pass is the Cardinals' winning again.  I would like it to be a thrilling World Series, like the one against Texas.  I'd like to see Wainwright completely baffle the Yankees every time he pitched and win 1 to 0  or 2 to 1 each time and strike out 14 batters.  I'd like to see Wacha and Garcia pick up the other two wins with Rosenthal and Motte picking up saves. Wow, wouldn't that be a classic. I love baseball and the 64 World Series is about the first one I have any recollection of. I was six.  I definitely remember the 67 and 68 World Series. In 68 Gibson had one of the best years any pitcher has ever had.  Wainwright is on his way to having a Gibson year this year.

I would also like to write a best-selling novel this summer, finish a play, and option a screenplay. I don't think that's asking for too much.  Sigh. This happens to me every summer.  Summer, to me, is a time of hope and promise.  I get, more or less, two months off.  Before you start talking about overpaid teachers, let me assure you that during the school year, I spend hours every week after I get home on grading papers and doing lesson plans.  I also always teach at least one and generally two night classes every semester to supplement my income.  I'm signed up to teach two this summer, but I don't know if they will make or not.  I will also be rewriting my curriculum and searching for additional resources to use in my classroom this summer.  So don't give me that crap about being overpaid.  Now, I will end my mini-rant and continue.

I always think about what I will accomplish during the summer with my writing. I never accomplish exactly what I want -- usually not even close.  Most teachers will tell you the same.  We usually spend at least a couple weeks winding down from the stresses of the school year.  When I don't accomplish what I want, I just get frustrated because I realize that I am getting older and I don't have the time or the mind I once had to write the way I need to if I really want to write that best-selling novel.  I used to think that I would wait until the summer and do my writing, and I discovered that I could never do all I wanted.  I have lately been thinking about how much I will be able to write once I am retired, but the problem is, not too many 60 year old retirees make a dent in the publishing world.  I am not so naive that I do not know that my dreams of being a writer full time are withering on the vine, but that does not mean I will stop trying.  Chasing a useless dream may appear stupid to some, but it is a necessity for me.  During the school year, I do not have enough uninterrupted evenings to write consistently.  Many times, when I get home from school, I am just mentally exhausted.  I know, you have been there too, but the big difference with a lot of jobs is that it ends once you get home.  Teaching never ends.  Enough of that.

I am trying to make myself more attractive to a publishing by extending my online presence.  I would ask that you follow my blog, follow me on Facebook and twitter.  My twitter account has tweets for everyone.  @stevecrosswords  If you want to check out some of my tweets use #crossbytes #crossbyte #dearstudent

Enjoy.  I'll write later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews