Friday, February 21, 2014

One or two more warm days before another blast of winter

The last few days have been very nice in this part of Missouri.  The temperatures have been in the high 50's and I think even up into the low 60's, but apparently they are not going to last past the weekend.  I cannot get used to this being plunged into arctic cold one day and then spring-like temperatures the next.  It's a wonder I don't have pneumonia.  I want to live in a temperate zone.  When I start selling one novel and young screenplay a year, then perhaps I'll be able to do that.  I know those are probably unreasonable goals, but I have to start somewhere.  Shoot for the stars and be happy with the moon.  Isn't there a saying like that somewhere?

I have been writing tonight and doing some music searches on my computer.  You Tube has dozens upon dozens of mid-sized music selections that are mellow and help me to focus on what I am doing. They even have several selections they claim will help improve the writing process.  While I have no doubt that writing aids in my creative process, I do know that it is not a miracle muse producing award winning literature out of the air.  I just need something to keep out distractions, and slow, mellow instrumental music does that for me.  Some people like classical or jazz, and while I like both, I don't particularly like them for writing.  Dr. Jeffrey Thompson has some music for creativity.  I bought two of his CD's a while ago.  Even my high school students like to listen to it when they are writing on their journals.

I haven't been watching the Olympics with any degree of consistency, but when I do watch them, I enjoy them. I guess I would just rather do something else with my time.  I think I have adult ADD along with a host of other mental problems so I have difficulty concentrating on a project anyway, but the right kind of music can help me to do so. I don't know if I should even bother seeking out any treatment for the condition or if there are any old-fashioned home remedy cures out there to help concentration.

I have been watching a little bit of the ice skating.  It seems like there are a bunch of skaters wiping out tonight. Looks like a traffic jam out there on the ice.  The US leads in medals right now, but it was a little disappointing that we did not take gold in men's hockey.  Several St. Louis Blues players are in the Olympics.  We also did not take any medals in the women's figure skating.  But we own some of the extreme skiing events.  I am proud to live in America even though I am not always proud of some of the things we do.

I might post some passages of my WIP on here if anyone would care to read it.  It's a little different.  If you are familiar with Ellen Hopkins, I can tell you that I am an admirer of her style, and I've found an amazing amount of freedom and inspiration in my writing by incorporating some elements of free verse and concrete poetry into the fiction.  The one big difference is that I don't have all of my pages that way.  My character has a mental illness, and it's mainly when he is experiencing troubles that I use the free verse style.  When he is having relatively normal moments, I use standard prose.

One thing that I am very grateful for is that I finally got Microsoft word on my Macbook.  I didn't hate Pages, and in fact, there were many parts of it I liked and I will continue to use, but I am used to what I am used to.  Now, if I can find a clever picture, I will put it in as my heading.  Until the next time.  So long.
Part of the Arcadia Valley.  ABC has a new show coming out in a couple weeks called Resurrection
which is set in Arcadia, my home town.  It's a shame they didn't film some of it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews