Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Another excerpt of Knight -- in the hospital

Sean Connery would be my Dr. King.

          I have a room to myself which is great because I don't want to talk to anyone.  My dad doesn't seem to care about my feelings because he's been hanging around me on and off all day. I have tried to avoid thinking of him.  My mind, they say, is fragile, and if it gets too caught up with thoughts, it will collapse and be sucked down the throat of the beast.  I ignore my father and do not talk to him.  I watch him as he sits silently in the one chair in my small room.
          Did I tell you why I am one of the few with a room to myself when most of the other crazies are jammed two and three to a room like chickens in a cage?  No one says it aloud, but I am sure it will come up in all the counseling I have to endure.  It's because they consider me a danger -- to others for sure -- and to myself too.  I don't think I could off myself.  Like I say, too afraid to live and too afraid to die. As far as hurting others goes, I don't really know what I might do.  That scares the shit out of me.  On the other hand, if I get to kick Jerret's ass, it would be nice to remember and enjoy it.
          "You get that temper from your mother," Dad suddenly says.
          "Just leave me the hell alone," I say before I can stop myself.  Panic- stricken I look around at the door expecting to see two big muscle heads coming in with a straight jacket. When nothing happens, I look toward my dad, but he has obliged me and disappeared to wherever dead people go when they aren't haunting live people.
            I can’t have visitors for at least a week.  I have no computer and no phone.  They do give me a small television and a radio though I am somewhere in the bowels of this hellhole and I don’t get very good reception on the radio.  I have some notebooks in case I want to journal, but unless I am forced to do that, I don’t intend to write a thing.  I’ll be damned if I give them any information to use against me.
            I have an hour to myself though I am sure I will be monitored someway.  I am guessing that every room has hidden cameras and microphones.  Some people think that is paranoid, but I’ve been in these places before.
            Nothing good is on television, and I can’t find anything to listen to on the radio, so I crash in my bed and pick up one of the notebooks.  They are cheaply made, undoubtedly bought for 50 cents at Walmart or Dollar General.  There’s not even a good ink pen in the room, jut a stub of a pencil.  I don’t use pencil stubs to write.  Surely, I can survive this place for two weeks. I decide it can’t really hurt to sketch, so I begin to draw a little.  For a few minutes, I try to get Ella’s face in my head but it’s like looking through fog.  I have to see her.  We have to tell someone about my father.  Maybe, she has … maybe … this line of thinking bothers me so I don’t pursue it.  I finish my sketch of Ella and then I start one on Dee.  I hope there’s nothing weird in my drawing a picture of my sister.  It’s just her face is so much like my face.  If she and mom would admit it, her head is much like mine too.  I focus on my work until time starts slipping away like a stream.
            A little later, an aide steps in.  He’s a big guy.  I almost laugh because I think maybe they sent him because they’re afraid of me.  I feel a little guilty about what I did to Jerret, but not much.  That bastard should have been hanging from a tree, not my friend.
            “Mr. Knight.  I am here to take you to the lab.  We have to take some of your blood to--”
            “I know the drill,” I say.
            He frowns at me and I get that sense that if I screw up the least little bit this guy will be dropping me to the floor and restraining me.
            “And you are?”  I ask.  My tone a little more friendly.  I tell myself that I have to play the game to get out of this place.
            “Call me Marcus.”
            “Lead the way, Marcus,” I say though there’s no way in hell Marcus is going to walk in front of me anywhere in this place.  He motions for the door, so without saying anything further, I step out.
            “Straight down the hall to the door.”
            When we get to the door, the appropriate signals are exchanged and the prison opens.  “To the cross hall and make a right.  Third door on the left,” Marcus says.
            The phlebotomist – Yeah, I know that word.  It’s kind of a cool word, don’t you think --  takes three vials of my blood.  One will be to test my Depakote level, which they will find to be nonexistent – definitely not at a therapeutic level -- and then I’ll get all kinds of shit about not taking my medicine.  They’ll watch me like a hawk the whole time I’m here to see that I take my bipolar cocktail.  I can play their game.  When I get home, Mom may even watch me like a hawk for a few weeks, but I’m definitely more patient than my mother.
            Marcus comes back in, I think to lead me back to my room, but instead of going right, we go farther down the hall. 
            “Where we going?”  I ask.
            “Dr. King wants to see you.”
            “Is he the head shrink here?”
            Marcus just laughs at me.  That is more than a little unnerving.
            I walk into small office only to find a bear sitting behind a desk.  The chair he’s in, the desk, the room are all too small for Dr. King.  Only, he’s not fat.  He’s massive – like an Olympic wrestler or something.  My heart drops just a little.
            “Sit down, Knight. Thanks, Marcus.”
            I sit across from Dr. King as Marcus smiles at me and exits, chuckling as he goes out.
            “So you’re not taking your medicine,” Dr. King says.
            “Why would you --”
            “Save your bullshit, Dean.  You leave it at the door of any room I’m in.”
            I fall silent.  I have to admit that I’m a little frightened.
            “After the fiasco at the river, the school got the canine units into the building to do a drug sweep.  Your partner David was found with a bunch of prescription pills.  He squealed like a pig about where he got his stash and what he was doing with it.  You’re just pretty fucking lucky you’re not in a juvenile detention center instead of a hospital.  You wouldn’t like juvie, Dean.”
            He stares at me, and I feel myself getting smaller and smaller as if I’m going to disappear.
            “Your sister told us what this Jerret prick said to you.  He deserves to have the shit beat out of him.”  He pauses to let his words sink in, but before I can bask in the victory, he adds, “He doesn’t deserve to be beaten to death though.  The administrators say that if they hadn’t pulled you off, you would have killed him.  What do you say to that?”
            “I don’t remember,” I say before I realize it isn’t the thing I should have said.
            “So you were crazy when it happened.”
            “I’m not sure if--”
            “You can’t have it both ways, Dean.  Either you were out of your mind or you tried to murder him.  What’s it going to be?”
            I don’t answer him.
            “If you’re crazy, we might be able to help.  If you’re a murderer, we’ll lock you up.  Marcus!”
            Marcus pops back in.
            “Take him back to his room.”
            I leave, feeling very much like I have been run over by a truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews