Monday, October 12, 2020

If you're interested, here is an outline template for planning your screenplay, play, or novel.


 I am a dyed-in-the-wool, irredeemable pantser when it comes to my writing. I pick a place and start writing, and much like just walking into the woods without a compass, I get lost.  I don't know how many partially finished manuscripts I have on dust-covered (Metaphorically) computer files. If I got rid of all of them, my memory on my computer would go up a whole gigabyte I bet.

My reading for my writing craft, much like my writing, is scattered, unorganized. I will pick up a how-to book and read a few pages, perhaps even highlight all over the pages so that there is very little unhighlighted material. Then, when I go back and look at the book again, I might as well read the whole thing over again. Like my documents, many of the how-to writing books I have are only partially finished. I've found some stashed in old bookshelves like worn-out underwear stashed in a rag bag. My wife says they make the best dust rags.

I have read a lot, as sporadic as it is. I have also soaked up some of the things I read. Still, when I look at all of these books on structure --everything from Save the Cat to the Snowflake Method -- I am slightly overwhelmed, well, more than slightly.

I always tell my writing students that in research they need to take material from several different sources and make it into one coherent document. Well, this teacher became a student and did the same thing. I came up with a four-page, fill in the blanks, template that I can use to plan my own writing.

This is a video I made explaining it. If anyone thinks it could work for them, let me know by sending me an email at thecrosses@gmail.com and I will send you a copy, either pages or word, that you can type right into.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews