Sunday, August 2, 2020

"Take a Look at Yourself". by Uriah Heep. What I wish I could tell my 13 year old self.

"Hey, little Stevie. This is big Stevie. You at 62."

"So I live that long?"

"Yeah, but you can't take life for granted. I survived cancer and believed I could die at any time."

"But if I live that long, I don't have to worry about death for a long time. Cool."

"I wish it were that easy. One of your friends is going to kill himself soon. Not only should you not take your life for granted; you shouldn't take others'. One-third of the great commandment is to love your neighbor. Pay attention to people. Communicate with them. Get your head out of yourself and pay attention to others in case they're having a hard time. You're going to find people your whole life who need encouragement or help."

"What can I do to stop people from hurting themselves?"

"Sometimes nothing. Sometimes everything. The thing is, if you're not aware, then you won't ever get the chance to help someone. Then you have to deal with the guilt. You don't want to spend the rest of your life wondering what you should have done. In all things, do your best not to harm others with words or deeds. And if you do something wrong, don't beat yourself up forever. Everyone does something wrong."

"If I'm good to others, they'll be good to me." Little Stevie smiles.

"I wish it were that easy. People are going to bully you for no reason. It will be hard, but you can't let them ruin your self-esteem. Another part of the great command is to love yourself. I can assure you. You can and will do great things."

"That'll show them." Little Stevie balls up his fist and pounds his palm.

"No, it won't. They'll likely forget all about you even though you can never forget them. Do things not to get back at others, but to fulfill your dreams. Even if you ever manage to get back at someone, it won't be satisfying."

"At least I have my church." Little Steve pulls out his cross chain and smiles radiantly.

"Well, little Stevie, your church is a cult. It does make you feel special, but it is rife with hypocrisy. Unfortunately, several churches are."

"To hell with them then."

"Here's a problem, Little Stevie. If your faith depends on a church, it's not faith. Don't give up your faith. You almost did, you know. There's a place out there for you, but you'll never find it if you condemn them all to hell. You're only condemning yourself. The most important part of the great commandment is to love God. This happens if you have "personal" faith. The right church helps, but it's not like it can hand you faith on a communion plate."

Little Stevie brow furrows in contemplation.

"I have to go back now, Little Stevie, but I want to leave you with one final bit of advice. Think for yourself. Don't do something because someone else tells you tell to. You won't be living your own life, you'll be living a life that someone else thinks you ought to. You have to find your own path. Finding your own path doesn't mean you'll have to walk alone though. You can take the same highway to different destinations. People will travel with you and enjoy their company for as long as you can, but don't think you have to get out in the same place."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews