Friday, May 6, 2016

Time to Reflect

I have four more days with my seniors and 11 total before I retire from teaching forever. I know you are never supposed to use absolutes like never and forever, but I think I can make an exception this time. I'm about to start on a brand new journey. I don't know how long it will last but I know that my next major destination will be death, but I think I have lived a good life really.  I won't miss all of the hassle of teaching, the bureaucracy and the paperwork, but I will most definitely miss my students, even the ornery ones.  My plan is to attempt to write full time and actually make a living out of it, but just as I always have, I have a couple of backups if the first one doesn't work, and there's no reason to think it will because it hasn't yet. I think I would need Divine interventions. Yes, I do believe in divine interventions, but I don't know if the Almighty is interested in whether or not I can make money off my writing. We have our pensions, which are not bad at all, but the thing is, most people like us are always just one major illness away from being so far in debt you might as well bury us in it. I sent a query to Bloomsbury Sparks publishing program. Now that Booktrope has folded I would like to get the book out again since the rights revert back to me. I'm hoping that they will like it so much that they also will get the second one and do it in hardback first, then paperback, and then sell movie rights to it. One can dream. My backup plan, which I'll have to admit I'm not quite sure about, involves being an official scorer for SAT. I can do that part time to add to my income. The most exciting thing about my retirement is that I am going to be a grandpa. I will spoil that child rotten. Well, I had written in five months, so I figured it was probably time to update. I'll write again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews