Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My First One


May the life you lead be a life that leads.

I teach -- mostly seniors, college bound -- good kids generally, even though the drama I witness daily is incredible.

Each year about this time I start making up little words of wisdom and posting them on the blackboard for them to read. I don't know if they actually read them but the opportunity is there anyway. I try to make it relevant and inspiring for them. Recently, one of our graduates from a few years ago came back to teach at the school. One of my original sayings was still written in a notebook she had kept from my class. So I guess at least one person found something worthwhile in them.

Basically being smart is more about common sense than it is intelligence. A sad thing that I see every year is students who were big shots in my school getting lost when they go to college. Those that don't have enough faith in themselves -- you know the kind, the kids who must have adulation and adoration from a group, the ones who are the big fishes in the small ponds -- can't seem to adjust when they aren't so big anymore. But that's a story for another day.

I am a writer who has not yet made enough money to quit my day job but still hope to. I recently went to a conference where a writer said that writers need to be bloggers to market themselves. I know just enough about computers to be dangerous. To me, a twitter is something a bird does when it gets upset. But my own common sense -- my common "joe"ness says I have to stay with the times to succeed, so here I am ... blogging ... whether anyone reads it or not.

I'll talk more about my writing later but right now I need to do something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews